Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars
Prep: 20 min
Bake: 45 min
Yield: 24 bars
Cost per serving: about 39 cents
8 TBSP (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temp
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg, at room temp
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups strawberry preserves
2/3 cup salted peanuts
2/3 cup peanut butter chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Butter and lightly flour a 9 by 13 inch baking pan.
2. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Lower speed; add egg, vanilla, and peanut butter; beat until combined.
3. In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt. On low speed, slowly add flour mixture to peanut butter mixture. Mix until just combined. Set aside 1/2 cup of dough.
4. Using your fingertips, press remaining dough into an even layer in pan. Spread preserves over dough. Crumble reserved 1/2 cup dough over preserves. Sprinkle with peanuts and peanut butter chips.
5. Bake until golden and bubbly about 45 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and cut into bars.