Coconut Tres Leches Cupcakes
- Prep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + chilling
- Yield: 12 Servings
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- Toasted flaked coconut
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Place pan on a wire rack; cool for 10 minutes. Remove paper liners from cupcakes; return to pan.
- Poke holes in cupcakes with a skewer, about 1/2 in. apart. Combine the sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk and coconut milk; slowly pour over cupcakes, allowing mixture to absorb into cake. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners’ sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Frost cupcakes. Sprinkle with coconut. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 1 dozen.